Table of Contents
- Common Reasons for Hair Loss and Damage
- How Long Does It Take Hair to Grow Back?
- Vitamins Needed for Lustrous, Strong and Shiny Hair
- Purayati’s Dietary Supplements for Hair, Skin & Nails
Most of us aspire for healthy black hair as shown on various TV commercials and billboards. A headful of thick jet-black mane sounds like a far-fetched dream difficult to achieve through over-the-counter hair care products. There is no quick solution to get healthy hair. Dry hair, grey hair, slow hair growth, dandruff, scalp infections, thinning of hair, and baldness are some of the most common hair problems. A majority of these problems can be traced back to poor hair care, usage of too many chemicals and heat on hair for colouring and styling, and a diet lacking proteins, vitamins, and minerals needed for healthy hair.
A strand of healthy hair is expected to grow at an average of six inches per year. Depending upon age, gene/ race, diet and lifestyle, this statistic might vary. The presence of pigment cells called melanocytes in hair follicles lends the black colour to hair. Melanin produced by these pigment cells changes with age and slowly gives way to grey and white hair.
Black and shiny hair need a proper hair care regimen combined with a healthy diet and hair care supplements to replenish the vitamins and mineral requirements that might have been missed in a regular diet. Again, vitamins for black hair are not magical solutions to yield results overnight. It needs to be remembered that vitamin supplements for hair are not able to reverse the extreme damages done by heat and chemicals. Rather, they are helpful in improving the growth of new hair follicles. Hair growth supplements take at least 6-8 weeks to show visible results after regular intake.
Common Reasons for Hair Loss and Damage:
- Illness & Usage of Certain Medications: Loss of 100-120 hair strands a day can be termed normal. Extensive hair loss can be triggered due to any underlying illness, after-effects of certain medications, hormonal imbalances, stress, and nutritional deficiencies. In men, imbalances in testosterone level can cause male patterned baldness, leading to thinning of hair on top and front of the head. In women, female patterned baldness leads to thinning of hair on top and crown of the head. Various medical conditions such as thyroid disease, scalp infections and alopecia can cause hair loss. Treatments such as radiation and chemotherapy take a toll on hair growth too. The intake of certain types of drugs including antidepressants, antibiotics, retinoids, birth control pills, anticonvulsants, steroids, and high blood pressure medications can also lead to temporary hair loss.
- Hair Styling: Heat can be detrimental to hair growth. The usage of hair styling tools such as straighteners, hairdryers, curling wands to apply dry heat weakens hair shafts and might burn the hair off. Subjecting hair to harsh chemicals through frequent dyeing and other hair treatments can lead to broken, brittle and grey hair with split ends. Tying hair in tight buns, knots or ponytails also create undue tension on the hair shaft, causing hair loss.
How Long Does It Take Hair to Grow Back?
In permanent hair loss, the hair follicles shrink and become incapable of growing hair. Though the process of hair loss can be slowed down with oral medications, chances of hair regrowth in such cases are very less. Baldness in men is such a type of hair loss. In females, baldness is rare but thinning of hair can be a sign of permanent hair loss.
Temporary hair loss caused by illness, certain medications, or treatments, is a reversible condition and hair can normally grow back in a span of 3-6 months. However, in some patients, it can take up to a few years. Temporary hair loss can be reversed once the medications/ treatments causing hair loss have been stopped. The regrowth of hair in such cases can be improved by the intake of multivitamin supplements.
Vitamins Needed for Lustrous, Strong and Shiny Hair:
While searching for right vitamin supplements for black and shiny hair, it is important to understand the role of particular vitamins and minerals in normal healthy growth of hair.
- Vitamin C: Apart from strengthening the body’s immune system, vitamin C plays a crucial role in the production of collagen. Keratin, a protein, is the main constituent of hair. Collagen is rich in amino acids involved in building keratin. Collagen also acts as an antioxidant and helps counter the damaging effect of free radicals on hair follicles. Owing to its antioxidant properties, collagen is known to delay greying of hair.
- Vitamin B Complex: Vitamin B complex constitutes a group of eight vitamins of which Niacin and Biotin are important regarding hair growth. Niacin helps in the nourishment of scalp, thereby leading to healthy blood circulation in the scalp, and growth of hair. Biotin is associated with the production of keratin and is found as a common constituent in most vitamin supplements for hair.
- Vitamin E: Applying vitamin E directly on the scalp helps in hair repair and growth. Oral intake of vitamin E also helps to retain strength and shine in hair.
- Zinc: Among minerals, zinc regulates hormonal balance in the body, thereby preventing hair loss.
- Iron: Deficiency of iron can result in thinning of hair or dry and frizzy hair. Hence, the intake of iron is crucial in maintaining healthy hair.
Purayati’s Dietary Supplements for Hair, Skin & Nails
In a market crowded with vitamin supplements for hair, it is important to look out for a supplement containing all the essential vitamins and minerals in recommended dietary allowance. Purayati’s Vitamins for Hair, Skin and Nails with Biotin (90 Tablets) is a complete health supplement containing vitamins A, C, Biotin, D3, and E to ensure optimal hair growth along with healthy skin and nails. Along with essential vitamins, the product contains minerals such as zinc and selenium to compensate for nutritional deficiencies in the diet. The product is 100% vegetarian, manufactured at a well-equipped FSSAI and ISO 9001:2008 plant.
Please use Purayati’s Vitamins for Hair, Skin and Nails with Biotin (90 Tablets) in the recommended dosage for at least 3 months to see visible changes in hair, skin, and nails. It is advisable to consult a doctor before starting to take multivitamin supplements.