Table of Contents
- The Best 10 Exercises For Weight Loss
- Yoga For Weight Loss
- High Intensity Interval Training
- Weight Training
- Surya Namaskar
- Desi Jam Cardio
- How much weight can you realistically expect to lose?
Best Exercises that can help you in Weight Loss
While it may seem like a small health issue, obesity has become a major health concern worldwide. From an unhealthy diet and lesser physical activity to underlying medical conditions and stress, the reasons for weight gain may vary from person to person. It affects a person’s overall health by making them prone to health issues like cardiovascular diseases, diabetes, and musculoskeletal disorders.
A lot of people are now worried about this weight gain. They try to find answers on how to lose weight fast or any of the weight loss tips that can help them shed the extra kilos effectively.
As per experts, weight loss can be done by following a regular routine of exercise and a balanced diet.
The Best 10 Exercises For Weight Loss
Exercising is one of the effective ways to lose fat. However, there is no single best exercise for weight loss.
You will need to combine more than one weight loss exercise which proves beneficial. Below are some of the most effective weight loss workouts you can try:
1. Yoga For Weight Loss
It is not just for a healthy mind or body but you can also perform yoga exercises for weight loss. Yoga exercises and poses also prove effective in increasing your flexibility, tone the muscles, and reduce body pain. Here are some of the yoga poses you can try for weight loss:
- Adho Mukha Svanasana
- Sethu Bandha Sarvangasana
Let us tell you how to do Chaturangadandasana or the Plank Pose:
- First, come into a pushup position. Make sure that your fingers and the shoulders are in a forwarding position. Your body, from head to heels, should be parallel to the floor.
- Inhale and stretch your whole body.
- Exhale and keep breathing.
- Hold this pose for a while.
2. High Intensity Interval Training
When it comes to calorie burning, High-Intensity Interval Training, or HIIT is one of the best exercises. It speeds up your metabolism and let your body lose excess fat fast. As the name suggests, this fastest weight loss exercise does not last for hours but only a few minutes.
For beginners, it can last up to 10 minutes. In a HIIT workout, you are required to perform intense exercises for a short interval. Some of the common HIIT workouts are
- High Knees
- Plank Jacks
- Side Plank Walk
- Jumping Lunges
- Mountain Climbers
- Jump Squats
Here is how you can do high knees:
- First, stand straight. The distance between your feet should be hip-width.
- Now, move your left knee up to the chest, keeping your thigh at least above the horizontal level.
- Place the left knee back to the floor.
- Now, move your right knee towards the chest.
- When you do it slowly, it will look like a march.
- Repeat the process as fast as possible.
If you want to make fat burning a fun activity, opt for swimming. This effective exercise for weight loss can burn up to 500-700 calories per hour if done vigorously.
Swimming also engages all the major muscle groups of your body and improves your overall fitness level. Not just this, learning swimming is also a survival skill that can save you in dangerous times.
There are various types of swimming you can try:
The best way to swim is to learn it from an expert. You should do it alone only when you have gained expertise or have all the safety precautions.
4. Weight Training
Weight training is another instant weight loss exercise. However, you need to perform them regularly along with a balanced diet and healthy lifestyle. You can also take multivitamins to fulfill dietary needs.
Weight training is also effective in building muscles and increasing body metabolism. Just pick the right weights and techniques to make sure weight training brings only the benefits.
There are plenty of exercises in weight training depending on your age, health, and gender. Talk to an expert to know how to do them effectively.
5. Surya Namaskar
Surya Namaskar is a type of yoga asanas that translates to sun salutation. It involves around 12 different positions that work wonders for weight loss. This can be a great weight loss exercise for females at home.
Men can also perform it at home. In addition to weight loss, Surya Namaskar also helps in releasing stress, strengthens the skeletal system, and improves flexibility.
- Pranamasana (Prayer pose): This is the first pose in which you have to stand straight with relaxed shoulders. As you breathe in, lift your arms and hold them in the prayer position. Exhale when the palms come together.
- Hastauttanasana (Raised arms pose): Now, in the second pose, breathe and lift your arms up. Keep the biceps near your ears and stretch your body way back.
- Hastapadasana (Standing forward bend): Breathe out and bend your body such that your hands are touching your toes.
- Ashwa Sanchalanasana (Equestrian pose): Now, from the hastapadasana, push your right leg back. Then, bring your right knee to the floor and look upwards.
- Dandasana (Stick pose): Breathe in and take the left leg back to come in a position where the whole body is in a straight line.
- Ashtanga Namaskara (Salute with eight parts or points): Now, gently bring your knees down to the floor. Your hips should be slightly up. Touch the floor with your chest and chin. Both of your hands, feet, knees, chest, and chin should touch the floor.
- Bhujangasana (Cobra pose): Now, breathe and slide forward with your chest raising like the cobra. Look up at the ceiling.
- Adho Mukha Svanasana (Downward facing dog pose): Breathe out and raise your hips. Make an inverted “v” pose with your body.
- Ashwa Sanchalanasana (Equestrian pose): Come back in Ashwa Sanchalanasana.
- Hastapadasana (Standing forward bend): Bend your body with palms touching the floor.
- Hastauttanasana (Raised arms pose): Rise up with your hands stretching back with folded palms.
- Tadasana (Mountain Pose): In the final pose, return your folded palms to your chest and stand straight.
Not many people know but just 30 minutes of brisk walking or jogging can burn around 150 calories a day! So if you feel that you cannot do HIIT or weight training, you can try walking exercise for weight loss. With time, you can increase the timing to 60 minutes.
While brisk walking is easy, people often make minor mistakes when it comes to the right postures. Here is how you can do it properly.
- Begin with a small warm-up like circling your shoulders.
- While walking, keep your shoulders relaxed, stand straight, and keep your chin parallel to the ground.
- With time, increase your pace and breathe as you walk.
Cycling for weight loss is a great workout you can do to burn those extra calories. The general rule is the faster you cycle, the more calories you burn. This means faster weight loss. In addition to weight loss, cycling also improves your stamina, increases blood flow, builds muscle strength, and reduces stress levels.
Here are some best tips on how to do cycling effectively:
- Opt for the 80/20 rule; i.e., try low-intensity cycling for 80 percent and 20 percent in the whole duration.
- If you are cycling outdoors, make sure you have the safety gear.
- Keep your head straight and look ahead while cycling.
Another basic exercise for weight loss is squat. You can also make it intense by adding weights or trying out variants such as jump squats to burn more calories.
Squats also build core strength and tones your lower body apart from helping you lose weight.
- Stand straight and keep your feet stance at a place that makes you comfortable. Your feet should be at a 45-degree angle from your legs.
- Look straight and slowly bend your knees. Breathe in while doing this. You will come in a squat or curtsy position.
- As for the hands, you can keep them straight forward or just let them relax sideways.
- Keep your chest and spine straight and when you get up, engage your core. Exhale and stand up again.
- Repeat this exercise.
9. Desi Jam Cardio
This is basically a dance workout for weight loss in which you perform Bollywood steps on non-stop music.
A desi jam cardio is a full-body workout that involves glutes, quads, abdominals, lower back, chest, and shoulders. You can try this with your family or friends and lose weight in a fun way.
There is no one way of doing desi jam cardio. You can refer to some easy dance videos and try these cardio exercises for weight loss.
Pilates is another exercise to weight loss at home that can work wonders when done regularly and properly. It includes various exercises that use controlled movements to lose weight, improve your physical strength, body posture, and flexibility. Some of the Pilates exercises are:
- Leg circle
- Scissor kicks
- Simple leg stretch
- Plank rock
Here is how you perform the leg circle:
- Lie on your back with your face up and arms by your sides.
- Now, place your left foot flat on the floor by bending the knee. Extend the right leg up and make as big circles as you can.
- Reverse the circle.
- Complete all reps one on the right leg and then repeat on the left.
How much weight can you realistically expect to lose?
This is one question that everyone asks, however, there is no one answer to this. The pounds you can lose will depend on how consistent you have been with your workout plan.
Aim for burning you need to burn 500 to 1,000 calories more than you consume each day and you can lose 1 to 2 pounds a week.
Moreover, you will need to take extra steps to ensure fat loss. For instance, if you are a female, you can try the best exercise for weight loss for females. But this is not enough.
Here are some other things you must do to ensure weight loss:
- Balanced Diet: Follow a diet that is rich in nutrients but low in calories. You can also consult a dietician to get a suitable diet plan for weight loss.
- Cut Junk Food: You do not just need to eat the food but the right food. So, avoid junk food and beverages such as cola, soda, burgers, pizza, and so on.
- Drink Water: Taking water before meals reduces your chances of calorie intake and also keeps your body healthy.
- Weight loss supplements: You can also take weight loss medication that can accelerate your weight loss process naturally. Check out products by Purayati to know how they can help you.
Now that you know how to lose weight fast with exercise, it is time to prepare the proper diet plan and check the best supplements and medication you can take to boost this process.
But before taking any of these steps, always talk to a doctor and health expert. This will ensure that you take the safe and right steps and do not overdo the weight loss plan.