Our eyes are our windows to the world. Ever wondered if these windows to the world needed special care just like the skin and hair care regime we might be following on a daily or weekly basis? The answer is generally negative. Increased usage of digital devices among millennials has led to Computer Vision Syndrome, better known as Digital Eye Strain (DES).
A survey by the American Optometric Association has reported that around 58 percent of American adults working around 7 hours a day on the computer have complained of continuous bouts of headaches, watery eyes or dry eyes. These are the symptoms of DES, often caused by the harmful blue rays emitted by mobiles, and laptops on the eyes.
Now the question is, is there any specific health regime for eyes? Yes, there is. Dedicated eye care is available and at the very core of it lies – nutrition, specifically Purayati’s Vitamins for Eye Health. Everyone is aware that vitamins are essential for the overall functioning of the body, but particularly for the eyes, Vitamin A and Beta Carotene are essential.
Vitamin A, chemically, is a group of antioxidants that plays a major role in enabling the vision of humans. The importance of Vitamin A is not restricted only to improving the vision, it also plays a vital role in the bone growth and immunity of human beings. However, optically speaking, Vitamin A protects the surface of the eyes from infections (most common one such as conjunctivitis also known as Madras Eye)
Another antioxidant required by our body is Beta Carotene. This is the component responsible for the orange colour in fruits and vegetables. This compound is not essential on its own, but as a precursor to Vitamin A, it plays an important role in the formation of Vitamin A.
Purayati’s Vitamins for Eye Health consist of these two vital vitamins and other ingredients that provides a gamut of benefits to our eyes.
Ingredients in Purayati Vitamins for Eye Health
- Betacarotene Eq. to 3996.63 IU of Vitamin A – 23.98 mg
- Vitamin C – 40 mg
- Vitamin E – 100 mg
- Zeaxanthin – 4 mg
- Lutein – 10 mg
- Lycopene – 0.5 mg
Each of the ingredients listed above plays a vital role in maintaining eye health. The importance of various vitamins is well-known; however, the other ingredients may not be part of our daily vocabulary.
Lutein, Zeaxanthin, and Lycopene are all carotenoids; natural components that impart a reddish colour to our foods.
Lutein is a naturally occurring carotenoid synthesized only by plants and majorly prevalent in green leafy vegetables such as spinach, and kale. The other ingredient, Zeaxanthin, is also a carotenoid which is the reason for the red colour in bell peppers and saffron.
Lutein and Zeaxanthin are found in the lens and retina of the eyes.
Purayati’s Vitamins for Eye Health have Lutein and Zeaxanthin are au-naturel as they are derived from marigold flowers. Lastly, Lycopene another natural ingredient, again a carotenoid with antioxidant properties that provides reddishness to the tomatoes we consume.
Cumulatively, each ingredient in Purayati’ s Vitamins for Eye Health is dedicated to “healthy eyes”. Let’s understand the benefits provided by these vitamins in detail:
- Reduces the risk of Glaucoma: A common condition associated with diabetes is glaucoma, where the optic nerve is damaged which eventually leads to vision loss. Studies have proven that regular intake of vitamins has reduced the risk of vision loss associated due to diabetes. This aspect particularly makes it mandatory for Indians as India leads the world-wide statistics with respect to a number of diabetes patients and potential diabetes patients.
- Avoiding dry eyes: For individuals who are working in India’s fast-growing IT/ITES, or consulting or designing field or any field which involves staring at electronic screens are often advised to blink to avoid dryness of eyes. Studies have proven that eye drops containing Vitamin A are beneficial in treating dry eyes. Hence, regular intake of Vitamin A may also help reduce the occurrence of this condition.
- Reduces the risk of loss of vision from age-related disorders such as Macular Degeneration: The consumption of vitamins slows the process of vision loss due to increasing age. This particular benefit has been successfully proven via a study conducted by the renowned National Eye Institute, USA.
- Slows the loss of peripheral vision: A four-year-long study conducted at the prestigious Harvard Medical School concluded that a combination of vitamin A and lutein helps prolong vision in people suffering from retinitis pigmentosa (RP) which is a genetic disorder where individuals face vision problems in low light.
- Prevent Cataracts: This condition where the cloudy lens is formed around the eyes has led to blindness among 33.4% individuals across the world and the only treatment for this condition is surgery. Research studies have proven that individuals who regularly consume vitamins are less likely to develop cataracts
How the deficiency of vitamins affects Eyes Health?
Lack of these vitamins may not have an immediate impact on anyone’s eyes but gradually it could lead to the following conditions:
- Night Blindness: Lack of vitamins leads to dryness of the cornea which leads to the formation of corneal ulcers, and ultimately vision loss
- Macular degeneration: The loss of vision in the retina in individuals above the age of 60 presents an alarming scenario as it is believed to be one of the leading causes of blindness after cataracts and glaucoma. The deficiency of vital vitamins aggravates this condition among the elderly
In addition, the other conditions discussed above such as age-related eyesight disorders and the occurrence of cataracts may be aggravated due to the lack of vitamins in our bodies. Most of these conditions are untreatable, barring Cataracts, where the solution is surgery.
Why Purayati’s Vitamins for Eye Health?
All the ingredients required for eye health are naturally available in certain foods and fruits, such as eggs, oranges, leafy vegetables, etc. However, in this fast-paced world, where individuals may not have time to track the presence of these ingredients in foods, it is best advised that one regularly intake a supplement to help keep many of the eye-related conditions at bay.
Side Effects and Warnings/Disclaimer
Individuals often exhibit different reactions to supplements or based on the prescribed medicines, there are possibilities of adverse reactions.
Hence, it would be best to consult one’s general practitioner or eye doctor before ingesting supplements.
Besides this, a note to all health enthusiasts, that additional intake of Vitamin A (more than the daily recommended allowance) has proven to be toxic. Hence, please be mindful of your vitamin A daily intake.
Lastly, for smokers, studies have indicated that an increased beta carotene or vitamin A intake might expose them to the risk of lung cancer.
- Why should I take Purayati's Vitamins for Eyes?
All Purayati’s products including the Vitamins for Eyes have been manufactured at a well-equipped FSSAI and ISO 9001:2008 certified manufacturing plant. This ensures that every capsule is a high-quality product that supplies the necessary nutrients to keep your eyes healthy.
- What is the recommended intake?
As per research studies, the recommended intake of the ingredients in Purayati’s Vitamins for Eyes are as follows:
- Beta-Carotene: 3-6mg/day
- Lutein: 5-10mg/day
- Zeaxanthin: 1-2mg/day
- Vitamin C: 60mg/day
Through the use of Purayati’s Vitamins for Eye Health supplement this can be achieved by our recommended intake of one capsule. It is recommended to consume this capsule with a meal rich in oil/fat or as directed by a physician.
- How Purayati's Supplements improve your eyesight?
The wholesome mixture of all vital nutrients such as Vitamin A, Lutein, Zeaxanthin and Beta-Carotene from the house of Purayati ensures that all eyesight related disorders are kept at bay.